–(HISPANIC PR WIRE – CONTEXTO LATINO)–You look around the playroom at a sea of toys, thinking: “I’m one holiday away from becoming my own toy store!” Naturally, you wonder: do they really need any more?
That’s when it’s worth remembering just how important play is to your child’s development. Toys add magic and excitement to learning—about life, about how things work and about how to get along with others. And of course, as children grow, their skills and needs are continually changing. So keep toy shopping on your holiday to-do list — but be sure to plan carefully.
Before you hit toy stores or surf websites, take inventory of what you have and think about what might be missing. Maybe there’s too much of one good thing (Trucks? Baby dolls?) but a distinct absence of toys that enhance other areas, like fine motor skills or physical activity. The goal is to provide a well-rounded selection of toys.
How playing benefits your child
Play should help every aspect of your child’s development. That includes physical, social, emotional, language, cognitive and imaginative skills. Some toys are designed to develop all of these in an integrated way, while others focus on one or a few. Look for toys that enhance skills in different areas.
• Solo play — helps children learn about themselves, fostering self-esteem, self-direction and values.
• Team Work — helps them practice social skills such as sharing, negotiating and cooperating with others.
• Imagination — stimulates and enhances creativity and imagination, providing a rich resource for language development and social competence.
• Physical Activity & Motor Skills—promotes movement, improving eye-hand coordination and balance while increasing strength and agility.
• Learning—introduces basic academics, from letters, numbers and words to more advanced school-ready concepts.
If your child tends to be all trucks all the time, it’s a good idea to encourage other ways of playing too. Get him to draw, to do some puzzles, to invite friends over for a make-believe play session. Above all others, you will expand help our child understand and explore the world through loving playtime activity.
Go to http://www.fisher-price.com to learn more about the products shown and selecting age appropriate toys that can help your little ones grow through play.