BENTONVILLE, Ark., April 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ — According to Walmart customers, when it comes to celebrating the spring’s biggest family holiday, Easter, the ability to personalize their Easter basket and including fresh ingredients in the family meal are key motivators. Walmart listened and has broadened its Easter assortment to ensure customers can purchase the gifts they want to give and receive this holiday.
Walmart also identified the following Easter trends which show customers moving beyond the traditional bunny and finding innovative ways to plan and save this holiday.
- Chocolate is the Basket Winner: Among those families planning to celebrate Easter this year, almost 60 percent are planning to buy chocolate and candy. Walmart has low prices on the following favorites:
- Cadbury Eggs 5-pack or Reese’s® Eggs 6-Pack (6.6 – 7.2 oz) – $2.78
- Starburst® Jellybeans (7.3 – 14 oz) – $1.88
- Marshmallow Peeps® Bunnies or Chicks (3 – 3.75 oz) – $1 each
- Outside of Christmas, Easter is the #1 Season for Toys: Licensed toys continue to attract shoppers. In fact, Walmart is also offering licensed novelty Easter basket items including the popular Disney Princess and for the first time, Hello Kitty. Other Top toys include:
- Barbie® Mermaid Tale Doll Beach Doll – $5.97
- Disney® Ballerina Princess – $7.88
- Select Lego® Items – $19.97 each
- Lalaloopsy™ Doll – $18.97
- Beyblade™ XTS Half-Pipe Battle Set – $34.96
- Top Easter Necessities are Grass, Eggs and Baskets: Walmart shoppers will purchase enough eggs to line up from New York City to Los Angeles eight times, which is equal to one trip around the earth. Other must-have items include:
- Green Easter Grass (1.5 oz): $0.28
- Plastic Easter Eggs (10 ct.) : $0.50
- Easter Buckets/Baskets: $0.97
- Older Kids Get Better Baskets: Moms said as their children age, they are shifting from giving more trinkets and toys to larger gifts such as electronics, clothing and gift cards. A few tween favorites include:
- The Macbeth Collection® Speakers, Headphones, or iPod Case – $9.88
- The Lion King Blu-ray™ and DVD Combo Pack – $19.96
- Sony PSVita™ System with 5″ front touch screen – $249
- Customers Seek Out Quality Fresh Food: Nearly 90 percent of customers that prepare an Easter meal prefer to cook the meal themselves vs. buying something pre-made.
- Walmart’s premium Sam’s Choice™ Highest Quality Spiral-Sliced Smoked Ham will be available at a low price of $1.98 per pound.
- Customers can find recipes and meal solutions at www.facebook.com/walmart.
“Our customers told us that price matters the most when shopping for candy, food and apparel this Easter,” said Laura Phillips, senior vice president, toys and seasonal at Walmart U.S. “We have made sure their favorite Easter items are available at a low price so they can build the perfect basket, entertain their loved ones and enjoy the holiday without spending too much.”
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com
SOURCE Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.