WASHINGTON, Aug. 8, 2018 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ — The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning consumers about hidden drowning hazards for small children in and around the home. In 2014*, more than 50 children younger than five fatally drowned in and around the home, excluding pools and spas. About 90% of these drowning deaths occurred in bathtubs.
In addition to bathtubs, five-gallon buckets, often used for household chores, pose a serious threat to toddlers. Their tall, straight sides combined with their stability make it nearly impossible for infants to free themselves when they topple in headfirst.
Toilets are often also overlooked as a drowning hazard in the home. Most incidents involve a child younger than three years of age falling headfirst into the toilet.
Childhood drowning deaths also occur in other containers with liquids, including pails, coolers, sinks, fish tanks and landscape ponds.
CPSC offers safety tips to help prevent children from drowning in and around the home.
- Never leave a baby alone, or with young siblings, in a bathtub even for a second. Always keep baby within arm’s reach. Children can drown quickly and silently.
- Keep the toilet lid down, and keep young children out of the bathroom when unsupervised. Consider placing a latch on the bathroom door out of reach of young children.
- Be sure all containers with liquids are emptied immediately after use. Do not leave empty containers in yards or around the house where they may accumulate water and attract young children.
- Always secure the safety cover on your spa or hot tub.
- Learn CPR. It can be a lifesaver.
For additional information, visit the CPSC’s in-home drowning information center.
*The most recent year that reporting is considered complete.
For more lifesaving information, follow us on Facebook, Instagram @USCPSC and Twitter @USCPSC or sign up to receive our e-mail alerts. To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury go online to www.SaferProducts.gov or call CPSC’s Hotline at 800-638-2772 or teletypewriter at 301-595-7054 for the hearing impaired.
CPSC Consumer Information Hotline
Contact us at this toll-free number if you have questions about a recall:
800-638-2772 (TTY 301-595-7054)
Times: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. ET; Messages can be left anytime
Call for product safety and other agency information and to report unsafe products.
Video – https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/727796/CSPC_In_Home_Drowning_Video_English.mp4
Photo – https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/727794/In_Home_Drowning_Poster_English.jpg
Logo – https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/711713/CPSC_Logo.jpg