SAN RAFAEL, Calif., Dec. 3, 2018 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ — ICE Out of Marin y Justicia Para Todos, a coalition focused on changing the policies of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office and other Marin County law enforcement agencies with respect to cooperation with Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) will hold a community rally prior to participating in a special Board of Supervisors Truth Act Community Forum.
What: Community Rally and Board of Supervisors Special Hearing
- Marin County Board of Supervisors
- Robert Doyle, Marin County Sheriff
- Lucia Martel-Dow, Canal Alliance
- Grisel Ruiz, Immigrant Legal Resource Center (ILRC)
- Lisa Bennett, ICE Out of Marin y Justicia Para Todos
- Dianeth Lopez, Immigrant mother whose husband is facing deportation
- Gina Fromer, Marin Human Rights Commission (HRC)
- Miguel Gavaldon, ICE Out of Marin y Justicia Para Todos
- Yadira Sanchez, California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance (CIYJA)
- Rev. Marcus Hartlief, Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Marin
- Other Community Organizations and residents affected by or concerned with Sheriff Doyle’s collaboration with ICE
- Rally — Grassy area by the Civic Center Post Office, 2 Civic Center Dr., San Rafael, CA 94903
- Hearing – Marin County Board of Supervisors Chambers, 3501 Civic Center Dr., Suite 329 San Rafael, CA 94903
- Community Rally – 4 P.M., Thursday, December 6, 2018
- Board of Supervisors Hearing – 5:30 P.M.
- Under the California TRUTH Act (AB 2792), effective January 1, 2018, City Councils and Boards of Supervisors in California are required to hold at least one community forum per year if the Police or Sheriff’s department allowed ICE to access at least one individual in their custody in the previous year. The community forums are intended to provide the public with information as to how local law enforcement agencies entangle themselves with federal immigration authorities.
- From Jan 1- Nov 25, 2018, 65 people have been “released” to ICE from the Marin County Jail.
- Marin County Sheriff Robert Doyle’s collaboration with the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency has produced a growing community concern over the impact on the safety and well-being of Marin residents.
- More than 25 Marin organizations have joined with ICE Out of Marin y Justicia Para Todos, a grassroots coalition of immigrant justice advocates, to request the Board of Supervisors hold this public hearing and take action against Sheriff Doyle for his practices which do not contribute to enhanced public safety, do not reflect the values of this county, and are out of step with best practices of other Bay Area county law enforcement agencies.
For more information, please contact:
Lisa Bennett, 415 272-4927 (English)
Juan Prieto, 510 414-0953 (Spanish)
CIYJA – California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance
Northern California Regional Coordinator
Additional Organizations Supporting the Forum:
ACLU Marin County chapter
Building Bridges San Rafael
Fair Housing Advocates Northern CA
Fairfax People Power
Main Street Moms, Point Reyes
Marin County People Power
Marin Interfaith Council
Marin Peace & Justice Coalition
¡Presente! Affinity Group
St. Johns, Ross
United Marin Rising
West Marin Standing Together Immigration Committee
Youth Leadership Institute
YWCA San Francisco & Marin
Zen Center/Green Gulch
SOURCE ICE Out of Marin y Justicia Para Todos