DALLAS, Dec. 7, 2015 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ — MoneyGram (NASDAQ: MGI), today announced support for seven worldwide education programs through the MoneyGram Foundation. The foundation’s final 2015 grant round supports literacy programs in some of the most remote areas of the world, continuing the foundation’s commitment to improving access to basic educational resources like culturally relevant books for children. This grant round also encompasses technology programs that are helping the foundation continue to narrow the digital divide and ensure every student stays competitive in today’s high-tech environment. In addition, several grants are in collaboration with many of MoneyGram’s valued business partners.
Logo – http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20151207/293601LOGO
“The foundation continues to expand its reach across the world, improving access to basic educational resources for under-served populations,” said Pamela H. Patsley, MoneyGram International’s chairman and CEO. “This grant round is particularly special to MoneyGram because many of the grant recipients were selected by our employees. I am proud that the MoneyGram Foundation is supported whole-heartedly by our global employee base who volunteer their time to recommend worthy organizations and donate to this great cause year after year.”
The recipients in the foundation’s final grant round of 2015 include:
- First Book, to purchase 25,000 new, books to distribute in Nicaragua, India, Senegal and Jamaica. The grant will also fund a smaller collection of books to be distributed in 10 additional countries, chosen by MoneyGram employees.
- UCEP of Bangladesh, to provide 25 UCEP Bangladesh schools with technology, learning equipment and materials and access to information and communication technology.
- Aide et Action Africa, to fund the digital component of a community mobilization project for six primary school in Benin.
- Co-Operative Bank of Kenya Foundation, to co-sponsor an educational support program working with 444 underprivileged students in the seven regions and 47 counties of Kenya. The Co-Operative Bank of Kenya and MoneyGram International are partners in business.
- Chaudhary Group Foundation, to construct 10 schools in nine of the earthquake-affected districts of Nepal, including Sindhupalchowk, Lalitpur, Dolkha, Dhading, Kabhre, Gorkha, Ramechhap, Kathmandu, and Bhaktapur.
- Hmong Cultural Center, to support the development of a MoneyGram Children’s Corner for the Hmong Resource Center Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Yayasan Pengembangan Perpustakaan Indonesia (YPPI), to purchase 10,000 books as well as fund the execution of book drives that will take place at 50 locations in Jakarta and 50 locations in Surabaya, East Java to supply tens of thousands of new books for struggling libraries throughout Indonesia. This grant is in collaboration with the Bank of Indonesia, a partner in business.
To learn more about the MoneyGram Foundation and the projects it supports, please visit moneygramfoundation.org.
About MoneyGram Foundation
MoneyGram established the MoneyGram Foundation in 2012 to help children around the world gain access to educational facilities and learning resources. Its mission is firmly rooted in the belief that education is at the heart of better economic opportunities, healthier families and individual freedom and empowerment. The MoneyGram Foundation is focused on inspiring minds and improving lives and grants funds to deserving organizations with this mission in mind. To learn more, please visit moneygramfoundation.org or connect with us on Facebook.
About MoneyGram International, Inc.
MoneyGram is a global provider of innovative money transfer services and is recognized worldwide as a financial connection to friends and family. Whether online, or through a mobile device, at a kiosk or in a local store, we connect consumers any way that is convenient for them. We also provide bill payment services, issue money orders and process official checks in select markets. More information about MoneyGram International, Inc. is available at moneygram.com.