SILVER SPRING, Md., May 23, 2023 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ — Feed Your Mind is an Agricultural Biotechnology Education and Outreach Initiative that was first launched in March 2020 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It is a multi-phased, educational effort aimed at helping consumers better understand genetically engineered foods, commonly called GMOs or genetically modified organisms.
The initiative is now in its fourth and final phase, providing consumers with new educational materials that add to an existing collection of GMO resources on the FDA’s Feed Your Mind webpage.
A factsheet and two infographics are now available, and help to inform consumers about a few of the impacts of growing GMO crops and the techniques used to develop them:
- GMOs and the Environment reviews the beneficial impact GMO crops can have on the environment.
- GMOs Outside the U.S.: A Closer Look at Bt Eggplant discusses the effects of one GMO crop in Bangladesh and describes how it can benefit the lives of farmers and consumers in that country.
- Genome Editing gives an overview of how a scientific tool called genome editing is used to introduce new traits into crops.
Two new videos will give consumers the opportunity to hear directly from scientists, farmers, and federal experts about GMOs, and the purpose, regulation, and impact of GMOs around the world:
- Talk About GMOs: Experts Who Know Them and Grow Them features scientists and farmers who discuss what GMO crops are, why they are grown, and their impact around the world.
- GMOs: Government Regulation and Your Safety features conversations with experts from the FDA, USDA, and EPA about how federal agencies work together to ensure that GMOs are safe for human, plant, and animal health.
These new educational materials, as well as the existing library of Feed Your Mind materials, are available to help you learn more about GMOs within our food supply. Feed Your Mind materials are also available in Spanish, and the FDA will inform the public when these materials are available in languages other than English.
Feed your mind with more GMO knowledge and learn more about the initiative at www.FDA.gov/FeedYourMind.
Contact: Media: 1-301-796-4540 Consumers: 1-888-SAFEFOOD (toll-free)
Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjDCzeJglo
Logo – https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/585467/3971813/US_FDA_Logo.jpg
SOURCE U.S. Food and Drug Administration